Hand injuries account for more than 23% of reported workplace injuries, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS). The facts are 70% of these workplace accident victims were not wearing hand gloves. The other 30% were not wearing the proper gloves to fit the specific application.
Although hand injuries are usually not fatal, their cost in terms of treatment and lost man-hours are high and more importantly, can be prevented. According to the OSHA (Occupational Safety and Health Administration), in the US, an injured worker could spend an average of 14 days away from work.
According to the BLS, there were over 143,000 accidents in 2015. Most of these cases would not have occurred if these workers just wore the proper, cut-resistant gloves in their workplaces. That is why you, as an employee or an employer, must continually raise the bar for yourself on what it means to value safety. Thanks to OSHA’s regulations, this is no longer an issue of choice.
In this blog post, we will discuss what are cut resistant gloves, the ANSI cut rating guide, and the product line-up LGS has to offer to meet these demands.
What Are Cut Resistant Gloves
Cut resistant gloves are a special type of gloves that is engineered to protect a worker from direct contact with sharp edges such as glass, metal, and other applications. The level of cut resistance can be improved by high performance materials like Kevlar® or composite yarns made with combinations of stainless steel, fiberglass, synthetic and high-performance yarns.
Not all Cut-Resistant Gloves Are Created Equal
So how does a worker know what gloves are the right ones to use? The good news is you do not have to guess. The American National Standards Institute provides a simple rating guide to make it easier for you to choose what gloves would be ideal for your specific working conditions.
The ANSI Cut Rating Guide: How to Choose a Cut Resistance Glove
After many ANSI tests, they have come out with the ANSI/ISEA 105-2016 report which classifies gloves into 9 specific cut levels. Each level is based on the weight required to cut through a material. This classification makes it much easier to decide which glove to wear for your work environment.
How Do You Use This Guide?
1. Assess possible risks for the tasks to be performed at your workplace
2. Combine the expected risk with the below cut ratings
3. Decide on a glove that will effectively protect against hand injuries
The table below is a summary of glove performance data as recommended in the ANSI/ISEA 105-2016.
The ANSI Cut Resistance Gloves Selection Criteria
|The ANSI Cut Resistance Gloves Selection Criteria|
|Estimated ‘Cut Through’ Weight (In grams)||Recommendations|
|A1||200 – 499||Not Recommended for Cut Protection|
|A2||500 – 999||Recommended for Light Cut Hazards|
|A3||1000 – 1499||Recommended for Light to Medium Cut Hazards|
|A4||1500- 2199||Recommended for Medium Cut Hazards|
|A5||2200 – 2999||Recommended for Medium to Heavy Cut Hazards|
|A6||3000 – 3999||Recommended for Heavy Cut Hazards|
|A7||4000 – 4999||Recommended for High Cut Hazards|
|A8||5000 – 5999||Recommended for Very High Cut Hazards|
|A9||6000+||Extreme Cut Hazards|
FroGrip® | Seamless Coated Cut Gloves Line-up
LGS is a prominent supplier of essential PPE (Personal Protective Equipment). Featuring our FroGrip® seamless coated or Daybreaker® impact cut gloves, these cut gloves are made from different engineered yarns and coatings to meet the demands of industrial environments. These comfort flex gloves form fit to your hand, have tactile sensitivity, and more breathability for various cut resistant applications. Our Daybreaker® impact cut gloves are performance driven heavy duty work gloves with TPR on fingers and back of hand delivering 360° hand protection. These gloves are perfect for working conditions that require multiple launderings for extended use. All of our highly revered cut-resistant gloves are ANSI/ISEA 105-2016 compliant.
Be sure to check our featured products this month:
FroGrip® | Seamless Coated Cut Gloves
Daybreaker® | Impact Cut Gloves
We are genuinely committed to providing exceptional safety solutions for all our customers. Our goal is to ensure our products provide value, consistent quality, and ensure it is compliant to the hand protection standards put forth by OSHA to ensure your hands are safe from serious injuries. Check out our product line of cut-resistant hand safety products or contact us for more information.